How to find the best local personal injury attorney? Lawyers generally show up on probably one of the worst days of a person’s life. Your injuries may not have healed before then you start getting calls for bills. When you should be thinking about how to recover as soon as possible, you may feel overwhelmed and stressed by this type of calls. You get wondered how you will pay for the whole thing.
This is when a personal injury attorney can help.
When you hire a personal injury attorney, you may not realize that you are hiring them for years at times. So you better like it, because it will stick around for a while. You want to be sure that he or she knows what is best for you, what deadlines need to be met, what defences need to be raised, and what tactics to take. You want someone else to take charge.
So what is the best way to find the perfect legal counsel for you.
Find your lawyer
- Ask from friends and family: They will have someone they like and recommend, or they will have someone you should avoid. Either way, it will be a way to narrow down your list. Ask around in your social circle and use that information as a way to start networking. You want to shop around a bit because sitting with just one lawyer is like testing just one car. You’ll want to get a variety of personalities and see who you fit in with.
- Research different lawyers online: The Internet is your friend. You can find a vast number of Law Firms and Lawyers on the internat.
- Previous Client Comments: Try to find the maximum numbers of lawyers you can on as many different websites as you can. If there are magazine articles and trade publications available, see if you can track those too.
- Discover lawyer training and his experience: If you can’t locate online, ask them on the phone or in person. Here are few of questions you might consider when going to hire legal counsel:
- How long have you been practising?
- In which areas do you spend the most time practising? Construction? Car accidents? Doctor or pharmacist, cases?
- Do you go to court often?
- What is your settlement rate?
- Will you handle my case from start to finish, or will an associate take it?
- What are your rates, and how do you expect to be paid (per hour or contingency)?
- Ask what their expected role will be in the case: Some attorneys don’t want the plaintiff to get involved at all, while others hope the plaintiff to have a phone call every two weeks to touch down and review the facts. Every attorney is different and has varying expectations. Also, consider what you want your role to be. Are you a person who likes to play important role in your case, or do you want to throw the file at your attorney and get it over with?
- Check the state bar association website: You will want to see if this attorney has past disciplinary issues or pending ethical issues against him.
- How is the company? Is it small and agile, or is it big and faceless? Who will handle your case? Talk to them via phone or, better, visit them in person. See if you are comfortable and if you like your staff. You will deal a lot with paralegals and associates.
Conclusion: If you can overcome all of that, you should find an excellent attorney to help you with a personal injury case.