The worst kinds of accidents that happen on the road usually involve some kind of larger vehicle. The most common trucks that are found are the semis. These large vehicles often are extremely heavy and have a hard time coming to a complete stop. If you are wondering what are the most common things that can contribute to a semi-truck accident, then here are some things that contribute to the semi going out of control.
There are many things that authorities try and do to minimize accidents. Many of these ways work well for smaller vehicles but end up having little to no impact on semi-truck accident.
- Fatigue is one of the leading causes of semi-related accidents. There may be danger ahead if the driver of a truck is trying to drive long distances in as little amount of time as they can. They have loads that must be delivered on-time and deep down the driver feels that they must do anything they can to make sure it happens. And if that means driving while tired, then they believe it must be done. Fatigue causes a loss of concentration and can end up causing an accident.
- Some drives like to use drugs to keep them going. It gives them the high they need to keep pushing themselves harder and harder. Others seem to enjoy drinking alcohol while on downtime, but they often forget that the effects of the drink last for hours. Once they get behind the wheel, they are setting themselves up for a major accident.
- Some truck drivers have never been properly trained on how to correctly handle a semi. They have difficulty backing and maneuvering the large vehicle in tight spaces. They might even have a hard time figuring out how to work the inner workings of the truck. In some cases, they have never been properly trained to maintain their trucks and report any mechanical issues that the truck might be having.
- Speeding is also a major cause of truck accidents. These large vehicles do not stop well at a moment’s notice. So, when the driver fails to observe that traffic is slowing down there is the chance that a major accident is just waiting to take place. And if the weather conditions have deteriorated there is the chance that the driver is over-confident in their ability to drive the truck safely which can lead to accidents as well.
- Driver distraction is an issue that is on the rise. Cell phones and other devices are often employed to entertain the driver so he or she does not become bored or tired behind the wheel. The driver needs to pay attention to the road and adjust driving to meet conditions that are present. Failure to do so can result in an accident or even death.
If you have been involved in an accident with a semi, then you may need the services of a lawyer. The insurance company will have their lawyers representing them, so you will need to level the playing field and have your lawyers standing by.